The First Apostolic Church of Toledo began in a small home on Jackman Road in 1937 under the leadership of Leo Carver and his wife, Helen Carver. In seven years of apostolic ministry, the Carver’s grew the church capably, purchasing FAC’s first church building at 2017 Detroit Ave.
In 1945, the Carvers answered the call to ministry in California, leaving FAC Toledo to grow under the pastoral ministries of T.J. Miller (’45-’48) and Marlin Odom (’48-’53). The ministries of Miller and Odom prepared the church for explosive growth and expansion throughout the mid-to-late fifties.
In 1953, Fred Kinzie was installed as pastor of The First Apostolic Church of Toledo, beginning thirty years of extraordinary increase and revival in the city of Toledo. By way of aggressive Sunday School attendance drives and innovative community ministry, FAC blossomed. Outgrowing the Detroit Ave. facility, and with no slowing of the increase in sight, planning and fundraising began to purchase property at 3864 Jackman Rd. On April 29th, 1957, the church sanctuary on Jackman road was officially dedicated, and for the next twenty years, FAC Toledo experienced unprecedented revival, record attendance, and growth requiring the purchase of no less than five more buildings on Jackman road to house the expansion.
Growing beyond the limits of the property at Jackman road, The First Apostolic Church initiated plans to purchase property on 5701 W. Sylvania Avenue, and for the construction of a brand new church facility. FAC Toledo was able to complete the first phase of construction in May of 1981. This physical transition served as a fitting foreshadow of greater changes soon to come, as 1983 marked the year in which Bishop J. Mark Jordan was installed as pastor of First Apostolic Church at Fred Kinzie’s retirement.
For the next 30 years, Bishop Jordan led The First Apostolic Church through seasons of tremendous revival and spiritual authority. Expanding the reach of the church to include a Christian school, daycare, and many innovative ministries, such as music, performing arts, and community outreach, FAC Toledo continued its growth as a leader in the apostolic movement in Toledo and throughout Ohio. Throughout his tenure, Bishop Jordan oversaw physical expansion on the Sylvania property with the construction of a new sanctuary, garage, and Family Life Center, as well as an expansive influence on the community, increasing membership to record heights.
In 2013, marking three decades of pastoral leadership, Bishop Jordan retired, opening the door for the dynamic and inspired leadership of Pastor Kris Dillingham. Along with his wife, Jennifer, and three children, Rhett, Reece, and Ashlynn, Kris Dillingham was elected as Senior Pastor of The First Apostolic Church in March of 2013. Under the leadership of Pastor Dillingham, FAC has continued its legacy of innovative and dynamic apostolic ministry, serving the Toledo community by way of benevolent ministries, neighborhood block parties, and even the installation of a new daughter-work: FAC - Smith Park Campus.
After nearly 80 years of ministry in Northwest Ohio, First Apostolic Church is committed to revival for Toledo and its neighborhoods.